Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Night before Girls Camp - a late entry


This month I went to our Church's Young Women's Camp in Britt, Minnesota. We left Monday July 14th arriving at our Former Stake President's house about 3 - 4 hours later. Our adventures, however, had just begun. After spending a good hour in Target ( my new favourite store for cheapo stuff) we went back to our hostess' home and sat down for Pizzas. Soon the air was filled with an eerie alarm while the sky grew very dark. Our Hostess looked at her daughter in shocked amazement; never before had she heard the real Tornado siren go off in her small town. On we flicked the TV while the Young Women were ushered into the basement. A Tornado warning was issued for the area and funnel clouds had been spotted a couple miles east of the Camp. I ran on to the road outside to try and catch a glimpse of something, ANYTHING! All was very calm and a terrifyingly quiet. I then remembered that I was a leader on this trip and my first concern should be those girls. I went to the basement to make sure they were all right and then Jackie and I braved the winds, which had started to gather speed, to collect our belongings out of the car. It was all over in about an hour. The news said that the storm had moved farther east and we were spared from a tornado touching down in the area. As we tucked ourselves into bed it thundered and lightninged but we were safe and felt the Lord's protecting hand over us. In the end the evening was uneventful but I shall never forget seeing those green clouds spread across the sky with the siren that created a foreboding atmosphere.

No comments: