Sunday, December 21, 2008

Dinner at Dinorahs


Close up of the tamale.

Chantel, me and Jack

Nacatamales with bread and Tamarind juice.

Us with Dinorah's foster kids.

Dinorah is from Nicaragua and is Chantel's mother. Chantel is of my young women at church. Today after church Dinorah had invited a bunch of us over for Nacatamales, which are a special Nicaraguan tamale that I enjoy far more than the Mexican ones. They are made with a corn flower filled with pork, tomatoes, potatoes, other veges and spices, then are wrapped in banana leaves and steamed for an hour. They have a distinct flavor but I love them!

After dinner we all gathered to the living room for singing and some games. The older boy, James, played a piano piece, Chantel read from the story "The Tale of the Three Trees", Jon sang with the guitar and then we played Christmas charades. It was so nice to be apart of a family for the Christmas season. I do miss my family and I look forward to seeing everyone again next year.

PS...If you already didn't know this you can click on the pictures to make them bigger!

No comments: