Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Almond Milk

Today I decided that enough was enough! Here we buy 'lactaid' milk because regular milk upsets our stomachs. But I still don't feel 100% after drinking it so I attempted to make Almond milk. I used to buy it - very expensive- so I had to stop. I found it took no time at all and was well worth the effort. It was soo tasty.
Here is a recipe for you to try is at home!

Please NOTE: I changed a few things in this recipe. The Writing in Blue is what I did.

YIELDS: 4 cups

INGREDIENTS:

1.5 cups soaked raw almonds (see note about soaking after recipe)
4 cups cold water I used less water for a creamier milk
1/8 teaspoon salt No salt - i didn't feel it was necessary.

INSTRUCTIONS:

Combine almonds, water, and salt in blender. Process for at least one minute.

Place a cheesecloth, fine sieve, or nutmilk bag over a large container. Pour “milk” into cheesecloth, sieve, or nutmilk bag. For smoothest results, repeat this step one more time.

That’s it!

Soaking: they say you can soak for 4 hours but I recommend 8 -12 hours. Make sure the almonds are covered in water and rinse them a couple times before blending.




It was sooo creamy. I tried it with vanilla but I liked it without.


I sewed my first draw string bag on my own sewing machine! What will be next!

No comments: