Saturday, April 07, 2012

Couch to 5 K

Tofield
I am a runner. I love the thrill of finishing a hard run; my legs ache and my chest hurts but  my mind is clear and I have more energy for the rest of the day. I don't run very fast, in fact, it looks more like a fast jog. Running and I haven't always agreed because of my asthma and bum knee the run would more often end in frustration than elation.

 Last year I decided I wanted to be a runner, there aren't many options for getting fit in Tofield, and no matter where I live I can always run. So last year I started walking and slowly I increased my pace as my body got stronger. Then I started to see weight loss from my mother in law who was using the Couch to 5K podcasts to help her start running.
I tried the podcasts and got hooked!

January I was 178 pounds and today I weigh in at 165. There is always a 2 pound fluctuation but the 170s are gone for good. The weight loss is a bonus, I just want to be fit.
As I near my 30th birthday I know I must increase my efforts to live a healthy lifestyle. My nursing knowledge tells me Now is the time, DON'T WAIT.

my new motto  When you Wait you increase your Weight  ( Wait = Weight)

For those of you who want to learn to run, here is an excellent program. It is free! Just download it to your mp3 player, phone or iPod. Or download them and burn to a CD!

NHS Couch to 5K
http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/couch-5K-running-plan.aspx

I encourage everyone to start today and don't delay. Your health is so important and as we age we lose muscle.

Here is an inspiring Runner who started in her later years.

No comments: