Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Spoiled by Autumn

After a chilly Halloween I braced myself for winter's thrashing but I have yet to feel jack's frozen fingers drain the warmth from my face. Arctic winds will surely come but for now I bike to work with warmer winds at my back and sunny cloudless skies before me. Right now it is 16 degrees, which to some may seem cold but to me it is perfect weather for Autumn. For which I feel Spoiled.

Last Thursday was my first day shift at the Hospital. I tried to listen to my supervisor though my heart was pounding too loud and my stomach was tided up tighter than a calf roped in a Rodeo. Somehow I had managed through the day without any disasters; the next day I was actually able to enjoy myself. By my third shift on Saturday I was starting to feel right at home.

Monday was my first evening shift and again my stomach started to tighten with nervousness. However, after I did my first admission I realized that it was not beyond me and that my nursing skills had not atrophied like an unused muscle. Because I had worked in Home Care for the past 4 years, I feared procedures would be very different at the Hospital. To my relief, not only are they similar but the basic concepts are the same.

I don't think I would have gotten through my first couple shifts if I hadn't prayed for assistance. Sometimes the nervousness and anxiety can be debilitating making me want to run and hide. I am grateful to the Lord for his mercy and patience with me. It is comforting to know I have someone I can turn to during times like these.

1 comment:

Dennis said...

Oh, Dana, it is really sad that that was not me there as your boss. I'd have fixed a great situation for you to attend to. I'd of had some guy fake a terrible knife wound, and a heart attack and at the same time or just before that have everyone else be called away on another emergency leaving you in charge.

Oh what great fun just imagining it.

Den