Thursday, January 21, 2010

BABIES!!!!

WE ARE GOING TO HAVE BABIES!!!

Jon and I are very excited as this will our first batch of babies. Well technically we wont be having the babies, our birds will. But we are very excited to experience this with them. We have been adjusting the hours of daylight and temperature to simulate breeding season for our parakeets. Now we already have two eggs and are waiting for more to come. Our mommy bird, Tango ( the blue bird), seems like an old pro. It takes her about 48 hours to lay an egg, once its laid she comes out of the nesting box to eat and interact with us. We can tell she will lay another egg as her bum is very big and round. I make sure every morning and evening they have free fruit and veges. I also change the water. I am glad they are having their first clutch now before our Japanese Exchange student comes. It will be fun to show her the babies and get her to help feed them. I know once we start hand feeding them our live will get much busier! But I want these birds fearless of humans. These types of birds can be very affectionate to humans and they always need interaction.

We are not sure what colours we get, but they could be anything from bright yellow, blue, white or green. The blue could be a deep lavender blue or a lighter blue. We will just have to wait until they hatch and grow feathers.

1 comment:

Katie said...

I felt a tad bit of disappointment when I read your bird is having babies and not you. I got sooo excited by the title!