Monday, April 19, 2010
EMERGENCY
Life in the small town hospital is never ordinary. We never know what to expect. For the past month we have had a full house, no beds left. We are run off our feet making sure everyone is comfortable and stable. Today, however, we had a code blue (Google it). With years of CPR behind my belt I've not once done a set of compressions but here I was thumping on this man's chest, feeling his ribs crack beneath my palm and willing his heart to give us a pulse. We call for help, ambulance is on another emergency call 10 minutes away with a trauma injury. The crash cart was brought in, we cut the cloths off his body and the pads go on. Everyone shouts "Clear, Clear" I thrust my hands into the air," I'm clear!" his body jerks up into the air as the electricity pulses through him from the defibrillator. "he has a pulse!" thankfully the doctor arrives and one EMS to give us a hand. To make a long and gruesome story short we got this this fellow stabilized and transferred to one of the bigger hospitals. We would have called the Stars Helicopter to transport him but it was lifting out the trauma injury that was 10 minutes away with our Ambulance guys. I was impressed with our team. We were calm and worked well together. Its days like this that I think...Bring it ON!
3 comments:
Yikes! You're awesome. Way to keep cool.
I am so proud of you sista, You are amazing to me, i love you so much and miss you more. I pray one day we can all be togather again, cause us sisters need each other, ( and Zeeky needs his aunty daisy and uncle Jon) anyway keep up the good work up north, you have an amazing gift from the Lord and He knows it.
WOW! Dana Im impressed! and its posts like these that I think "I have the coolest aunt!"
Post a Comment