Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Amish Friendship Bread

A week ago I was given a ziplock bag filled with thick sticky liquid and a page of instructions. Amish Friendship Bread was the title and I find out that the sticky gooey stuff is a bread starter.
The recipe for this starter is a secret that only the Amish know, according to the recipe, so I guess I should find myself lucky to be given it. The instructions have me adding milk, flour, and sugar after 5 days and on the 10th day I add more of the previous ingredients then divide the mixture into 4 parts. I then give 2 parts away, bake with one, and keep the other to continue the process. Sounds like a baking "chain letter" to me. I was intrigued that this sludge would be sitting on my counter for 10 days and
then I would bake with it. After a little internet research I have found that the starter replaces the yeast in bread recipes and if "properly maintained...can last for years (even decades) developing a more distinctive flavour as time passes" (http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/baking_joy/85474/2).

Last night I decided to bake with one of the starters I still have. After struggling to find all the ingredients (instant Chocolate pudding) I finally was able to mix it all together and bake it. One hour later I had melt-in-your-mouth chocolate bread that tasted like a combination of coffee cake and pound cake. Yummmm....




3 comments:

Katie said...

Oh neat! Do you have the recipe? Send it over!

JPP said...

Your the best wife in the entire universe!!!

Anonymous said...

ya sis send me the recipe too!!!!