I bought this plant at Superstore to remind me that spring is coming.
Daffodils are one of my favourite flowers. Their unpretentious style and colour have always appealed to me. They hold their trumpets out with dignity, though they are not known for their elegant beauty, it is their down-to earth loveliness that I am attracted to. Perhaps its also the childhood memory I have of them that adds to the appeal. Each spring my sister and I would go out into our fields in Victoria and pick buckets of flowers to sell. After we tied them into bundles of 12, we boarded the ride-on lawn mower towing the heavy buckets of flowers on the trailer my dad attached.
We never came home with flowers to spare as who could resist two pretty young girls laughing and waving flowers at drivers who passed by. Selling them at a dollar a dozen was a pretty good incentive as well. But I remember many sweet ladies and kind sires who stopped just because they wanted to support our entrepreneurial endeavours. Once our buckets were empty and our pockets full we drove home either to add the money to our money jars or spend it on 5 cent candies at the corner store. Of course, this was after we set aside 10 % for the Lord.
Those were the carefree days of childhood and its something I hope to give my children someday.
Daffodils are one of my favourite flowers. Their unpretentious style and colour have always appealed to me. They hold their trumpets out with dignity, though they are not known for their elegant beauty, it is their down-to earth loveliness that I am attracted to. Perhaps its also the childhood memory I have of them that adds to the appeal. Each spring my sister and I would go out into our fields in Victoria and pick buckets of flowers to sell. After we tied them into bundles of 12, we boarded the ride-on lawn mower towing the heavy buckets of flowers on the trailer my dad attached.
We never came home with flowers to spare as who could resist two pretty young girls laughing and waving flowers at drivers who passed by. Selling them at a dollar a dozen was a pretty good incentive as well. But I remember many sweet ladies and kind sires who stopped just because they wanted to support our entrepreneurial endeavours. Once our buckets were empty and our pockets full we drove home either to add the money to our money jars or spend it on 5 cent candies at the corner store. Of course, this was after we set aside 10 % for the Lord.
Those were the carefree days of childhood and its something I hope to give my children someday.
3 comments:
There are daffodils blooming in the gardens outside our apartment. And purple flowers. It's wonderful that spring is close!
oh is that what season it is? im so lost... well i guess it is hotter than usual today.
i love your little memory you shared, it reminds me of some of my own memories.
i remember , it was the highlight of our spring, going daffodil picking, we had a good buisness... i miss you alot sister, i hope we can be close again... i need my baby sister
Post a Comment