Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Loose as a Goose


The Anthony - Adams Clan

The past couple of weeks have flown by. Almost two weeks ago we went to the last (I think) Loose Family Reunion. They have one every four years and include Vernon and Lorna Loose's children, grandchildren and great- grandchildren. ( I am not sure if there are any great great grandchildren?). This year it was help at Beth (Loose) Burgess Ranch just outside of Cold Lake, AB and a couple minutes past the Saskatchewan border. It was lots of fun with rely races, chili cook-offs, Talent shows and, of course, the candy scramble. A game where they shoot candy into the air with a homemade potato gun and the kids grab as much candy as they can. This year felt extra special because they dedicated it to Vernon's memory. There were artifacts of some of the things he had made such as a snowplow, a hand propelled swing that swung four children at a time, a telescope, a small cannon and so forth.

The Snow Plow

Cherry Picker - Made by Vernon and used to help build the LDS Chapel in Cherry Grove, AB



Saturday night was the talent show where Jon(guitar), Matt(Banjo), and Dave(Harmonica) played a bluegrass song. I thought they played really well together! Even Grandma performed! She recited a poem from memory, at ninety! Afterwards, there was a draw for a beautiful homemade quilt with everyone's signature on the back and I won it!! YEAH!


A video of the boys - you can hear my niece
Vera saying, " you see Matt, you see Jon?" in the beginning.



Sunday night we had a fireside where 6 out of 8 of Jon's uncles and aunts told stories of their Dad, Vernon. The evening ended with Grandma Lorna Loose sharing her testimony. Aunt Beth had put together a book containing Vernon and Lorna's autobiography called VERNON AND LORNA LOOSE - A Collection of Stories and Pictures of their Lives, Told in Their Own Words. After reading a bit of it I found out that Vernon's Parents, Franz and Amanda(Ehlert) Loose came from Prussia, Germany to Magrath due to persecution. They truly were pioneers!

Grandma, Matt &Robyn, Jon singing along to a camp song


The Family Tree

You always need a huge fire at camp.
(Boys will be Boys)




The Burgess Family - Talent Night



This year I was able to get to know so many of Jon's extended family. It was so exciting to learn more about Jon's grampa, he seems to have many of his traits which I am grateful for. I am also grateful for a Grandmother who, though 90 years old, has a vibrant laugh and a solid testimony in the Gospel.

No comments: