Friday, September 11, 2009

Seven Months

It was seven months ago when we decided to "try her out for a week" but after a week we just couldn't part with her. That small Lineolated Parakeet that had won our hearts with her happy chirps and loving snuggles. Living here in Tofield we had grown closer than ever, she came to me when called, jumped up on my finger when asked and made sure she wouldn't leave her "droppings" on me.
She loved all the attention she got from the rest of the family too! She would perch on Sandra's shoulder, and even let Nick scratch her head. She loved music, while I played the piano she would sit on her perch and chatter to herself, it almost sounded like she was trying to sing along. Tony and Sandra were good to her, letting her fly around the house when ever she wanted. Her favorite food was butter, nothing added, just straight-up butter. But I didn't let her have it so she settled on cheese. Last Saturday our friend we met in Thunder Bay came to visit us. It was so good to see him again before he ventured out east again to finish his degree in Civil Engineering. It was a busy morning and we all had a lot on our minds so when the front door opened we didn't think much of it until we saw Dill head for Nolan, who was outside, but missed and just kept flying. We looked for hours, calling and whistling for her, trying to hear her call. Nothing. Our hopes grew dim as we knew the odds of her surviving the night were very slim. It would be too cold. We put the cage outside in hopes that she would recognize it and fly there for the night but there was no sign of her the next morning. It was a very sad evening for all of us in the Adams/Anthony household. Sunday after church we spent sometime looking and even today I had hoped I might find her body so that I could stop thinking about her. She had filled our lives with joy, we will all miss her. Other posts of Dill :  
Video of her talking
Video of Jon scratching her head

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I opened the door to Dill's death.

Dae said...

well I wasn't going to name names, NOLAN! HAHA It could have been anyone and she never liked living in her cage. I am sure she is happier, where ever she is.

Anonymous said...

I hope you find your bird.
-Franko

Anonymous said...

I Understand completly, I felt the same way when my Paquito flew out the door in Mexico. Even though my husband didnt love my bird as much as I did.. of course Paco didnt love anyone as he loved me, it was pain full to not get him back, The worst was I heard him in the trees behind my house yelling PAQUITO , of course copying me while I yell his name to come... anyway I hope they will be happy together in Birdy heaven... or maybe they will be around a while who knows